Wow, it is hard to believe that March is over already! I knew that I hadn’t been posting much, but I didn’t realize just how badly I’d been neglecting my blog. Yikes. ^ ^;; I did get some sewing done this month, but only one thing that I consider to be really fun.
One of the makes was actually a refashion, turning an oversized man’s t-shirt that I found in a thrift store in Austin in January into a shirt that better fit me. I had to get the shirt, as it featured a dungeon from the game nethack. (This is some seriously old-school computer gaming here.) Anyway, while I like black and I like white, I don’t like black and white together on me. So I hacked the body of the shirt off and used some grey waffle knit that pazzia, one of the kind stashbusters, had sent me. Thank you, pazzia!!
The second make was a modified Renfrew. I saw an oversized knit top with differing length bands in one of the Burda magazines from last fall (sorry, I don’t recall which right now) and thought it looked super comfy. While we are having some lovely days this March, we are still firmly in the long-sleeved top wearing season.
Silly me, though, I just went ahead and added the bands onto my existing Renfrew pattern, again using the waffle knit that pazzia sent me. I did all of the nice faux twin needle look top-stitching before trying the thing on, just assuming that everything would be fine. Everything wasn’t fine. I usually cut my Renfrews a little longer, as I don’t like to have bottom band on them. This, plus the fact that the waffle knit didn’t stretch as much as I presumed, meant that I ended up with the bands hitting perfectly on the widest section of my hips. Barely hitting. *sigh* I ended up cutting the bands off and hemming into another comfy Renfrew. Lesson learned: beware the side seam allowance when elongating the Renfrew.
There was another v-neck Renfrew that I made out of some stash fabric; some sort of nubbly, mushroom grey knit. That catches on anything and everything. (I had to repair one hole even before I’d sewn the side seams. I don’t expect this make to last too many seasons.) Anyway, it’s nothing special, so I’ll save you seeing yet another Renfew hanging on my photo door.
The real fun make of the month was another New Look 6415 A-line skirt, but out of a macaroon printed grey linen from my friend. She was the one who first made me aware of macaroons, and we ate them together in Tokyo over the summer. When she got some of this Japanese linen in her shop, I knew I had to have some. I lined it with scrap green satin that I had from years ago. And I used a small little bit of Japanese cotton from my stash to line the waistband. Not only is the skirt nice and simple, it’s so much fun to wear. I love the splash of color of the lining and the whimsy of the waistband.
So, pieces of fabric stash busted in these makes: 4.
I have another make on the cutting table and at least one more planned before I head off to Prague later in April. I didn’t get as much done in March as I planned, but there’s a reason for that. I’m having a good, hard think about just what I want to make next. That’s slowing the making process.